- Our Story
- Our Methods
- Quality Improvement
- Health Systems Strengthening
- Global Health Security
- Health Communication and Behavior Change
- Research and Evaluation
- Food and Nutrition
- HIV and AIDS
- Maternal, Newborn, and Child Health
- Noncommunicable Diseases
- Reproductive Health and Family Planning
- Vulnerable Children and Families
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
- Our Projects
- Our Resources
- Join Our Team
Capacity and Organizational Development Officer
Location: Abidjan, Ivory Coast | Job Type: Full-time | Post Date: 04/14/2017
The International Development Group (IDG) is one of three international program divisions at URC/CHS and manages health and education programs principally funded by USAID and CDC. IDG’s key areas of focus are improving health systems performance and quality of care in maternal and child health, family planning, malaria, HIV/AIDS, TB and nutrition; implementation science research and communities of practice in health and education. IDG will provide technical assistance to the USAID funded Global Health Supply Chain multiple award project in Côte d’Ivoire.
Cote d’Ivoire’s health commodities supply chain has emerged over the past three years into a strong and robust system, particularly at the national level, although it remains fractured at the regional, district, and facility level. As the country is poised to transition to an emerging economy after 10+ years of instability, so too is the health commodities supply chain poised to transition into a holistic, effective and sustainable supply chain. To facilitate this transition within the next five years, Ivoirian supply chain leaders must address the remaining challenges and needs at all levels of the supply chain system.
URC has joined a consortium of partners to address these challenges and needs. In its role, URC will use its CQI methodology, focusing on performance to create a culture of quality within organizations by improving staff members’ knowledge, skills and abilities. To address the historically lackluster effects of training alone, URC’s approach will provide holistic support through accessible standard operating procedures (SOPs), meaningful incentives, supportive supervision, peer leaning opportunities and system prompts to spur adherence to standards in the health commodities supply chain. Our approach and work will address two key objectives: Support advocacy efforts for an enabling environment for supply chain management and performance; and develop and motivate the Cote d’Ivoire supply chain workforce.
- Work under the supervision of the Capacity and Organizational Development Advisor as well as with regional and district pharmacists on incorporating regular stock counts into standard supervision practices as guided by NPSP; also work with GOCI counterparts to ensure this becomes a standard best practice
- Working closely with NPSP, develop training on continuous improvement approaches for health facility staff peer mentors to include inventory control, minimization of overstock & waste, avoidance of understocking, and monitoring to reduce expiry of commodities
- Coach and mentor GOCI staff in the adoption and application of the e-inventory management tool
- In collaboration with the Warehouse and Inventory Advisor, coach and mentor regional and district staff to apply established national standards to storerooms, identify needed improvements and develop costed action plans for refurbishment and/or maintenance of storerooms
- Provide input to the presentation and structure of the cloud-based series of workflows, templates, and policies, established by IHSC-TA, that can be accessed by district staff
- Provide support to regional pharmacists who will provide on the job training to their counterparts at the district and facility level
- In collaboration with GOCI staff, use customized tools to assess data quality at district and facility levels
- Provide input to eLearning prompts to keep best-practice processes fresh in district staff’s minds
- Conduct qualitative survey (developed in conjunction with the Capacity Building Advisor and the Strategic Information Advisor) to understand perceived barriers and motivators for health personnel to enter data regularly and on time
- Conduct training and coaching for district pharmacists in the project’s transparent financial management system used to manage private sector transport contracts
- Coach staff on correct procedures and available resources to prevent fraud and commodity leakage
- Work with the Communications Specialist to develop project data sharing platforms
- Bachelor’s degree required, with at least 5 years related experience or advance degree in pharmaceutical management, public health (MPH), supply chain management or related discipline with at least 3 years of experience
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience providing systems strengthening technical support in one or more areas such as; supply chain management, supply chain strategic planning, health commodity procurement, logistics, governance, leadership, warehousing, commodity financing, distribution, transportation and/or waste management
- Proven track record applying analytical skills in the international development space for strategic planning and partnership development
- Prior experience working with USAID grants and contract mechanisms particularly in the field of supply chain management required
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral and writing skills
- Ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team to plan and to effectively work in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work with diverse populations and forge relationships with constituencies and donors in the public and private sectors
- Fluency in written and spoken French required, proficiency in English desired
- Please note: Only candidates who are eligible to work in Cote d’Ivoire for an indefinite period without a need for sponsorship will be considered for this position
Click on the blue APPLY button. A new browser/tab for our career application system will open. Either login using an existing account or create a new one to complete your application. Thank you very much for your interest.
About University Research Company (URC):
URC is a global company dedicated to improving the quality of health care, social services, and health education worldwide. With a non-profit affiliate, the Center for Human Services (CHS), URC manages projects in over 45 countries, including the United States. URC is an E-Verify employer and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
URC’s mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges worldwide. Please join us in carrying out our mission.